Sunday, June 25, 2006

Another failed attempt

Why am I blogging at 6 in the morning? Good question! It’s because this is the second failed attempt to go biking and I can’t go back to sleep.

Sometime back, a few of the siau gang considered going on a cross country road bike (as in bicycle) tour later in the year. Needless to say, I was tempted.

Nevermind that I didn’t own a bike.

Nevermind that I might not have enough leave to go on a cross country road tour.

Nevermind that I am not an RPM fan in the gym and that those who are planning to go are either RPM instructors or RPM hardcore riders.
(Note: To the uninitiated, RPM is a cardio class offered in the gym where one spends 45 minutes on a stationary bike simulating hill rides and races.)

“After all, what the mind can conceive, the body can achieve.” Yeah! Yeah! Will have to relook at this quote later. :P

Just a couple of weeks back, the siau gang decided that the first trial would be to cycle to Port Dickson and back. Now, that is over 100kms one way. I was sceptical. First attempt for a non RPM goer and a non biker. That’s like committing physical suicide! :p It’s a little over the top even for me. So, we decided to go on a short trial ride to Bukit Jalil and back. I am told that it’s about 20kms but I stand corrected.

And thus, a couple of weeks back, I went to a bike shop to borrow a bike to go riding with these siau friends of mine the next day. The guy at the shop took one look at me and said that he did not have a bike my size on loan. Ehhh … to the unitiated, a bike my size would mean a smaller frame. After all, not everyone is born to be more than 5.5 footers!

What to do? No bike and I desperately wanted to try biking again. My first attempt was in 2002 and I have been considering this sport ever since. However, I resisted as I did not want another “white elephant” in my “closet”.

I digress. In any case, I made a rash decision and bought a spunky new bike! I blew RM1,300 on it and another RM470 on accessories. Yup! Rash decision it was. But look at my spunky new bike. He’s a darling, ain’t he? :D


My new baby!

Peik Lean Y.

I am now fully equipped to go biking!

Unfortunately, the next morning dawned cloudy and rainy. And it rained and rained and rained. Thus the trip was cancelled. The next few attempts were not as disappointing as I did not have to get up as early as 5.30 am to have it cancelled again.

But today … well, another failed attempt! :( The only male member in today’s riding trip is down with a sore throat and had to opt out. After hearing all the scary stories about women biking on their own, we decided to call it off again until we get more male muscle to join the trip. Sigh! At this rate, I fear my bike is gonna be another white elephant.

Oh well, what the mind can conceive, the body can achieve. I just have to keep bugging my siau friends to fulfil this part of the bargain. Hahahaha …

Dang! And it’s such a beautiful looking morning too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I promise we will go biking. I want to make use of my "blue elephant" as well.

Peanut Kong said...

I'll hold you to that promise Manny. Hahaha ...

Just found another friend who goes for 10km biking near my condo area. Will follow him one day and find the way.

You guys are welcome to join. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh good bike. As for my bike it was hahahaha dont laugh at me for being kiamsiap. Upon I arrived at the Bike Shop they were having a sales for the outdated models at 60% to 80% discount wow so I walked around to take this huge saving. I was too late, no guy's bike right for my leg length, so what to do ??? so I walked to lady bike section DO I mind to ride a lady bike on the street I asked myself with a saving of 80%? SURE not !!! So I ending up with a lady bike you know the horizontal bar was a bit inclined just like yours on pix but with a saving of 80% I can live with the laugh or questionable eye sights on the streets. I used the savings to buy a tire pump, a goods rack, a side-leg to keep the bike stable at rest, and a water bottle rack and surely a biking water bottle, totally for just 10% more. That was my bike story. I surely can lend you my bike anytime.