Friday, March 30, 2007

It’s a matter of Mind over Matter

Ever wondered that perhaps the things we think we could not do could actually be accomplished if only we put some positive thoughts behind them? And many a time our failure to do so is compounded by our own “defeatist” thoughts and the disapproval from the people we seek support and/or approval from i.e. our parents and society at large?

It’s hard to fault our parents because they believe they have our best interest at heart. And it’s hard to fault society for its whimsies, for after all; we could ignore them and just get right on ahead with what we want to do.

Yet, how often are we caught within this mire of needing approval from our parents and society alike?

If you had asked me ten years ago if I could trek for more than ten consecutive days, 5-6 hours a day on the Annapurna Base Camp (ABC) trail, I would have said, “No. That is impossible.” I would never even dream of attempting such a feat.

Why? Well, because it never crossed my mind that I could. After all, the easiest and most effortless answer is No. I would most likely be the first person to volunteer to drink up the sight of the Himalayas from the “safe harbour” of Pokhara. Secondly, my parents would be most discouraging as they would be worried for my health and safety going to such a country. Thirdly, it was not the “thing to do” in society’s eyes as young ladies should be genteel and not go traipsing around third world countries on their own.

Isn’t it strange that we are so easily influenced by the need for others’ approval and support?

The longer I live and the more experiences I garner in life, I realise that we need to balance what we want to do against outside influences. We are our best judge as to our own capabilities and limitations. I have also learned that if we could break huge goals into smaller ones, slowly but surely we will be able to break one record at a time. And soon, we would hit the larger ones.

Interestingly enough, the things that I thought I could never do, I actually did after I hit 30. People say that with age, we should realise our mortality and therefore, taper off doing crazy stuff. My take on this is; it is when we realise our mortality that we should treasure our ability to do something. And just do it! Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes!

Just last week, fresh from my personal victory in the 10km run, I made an attempt to run non-stop from start to end at the Kiara Hill trail within half an hour. For many people, it’s an easy feat. For me, I was never able to do so. Thus, on that fresh Sunday evening, I donned on my gear and then, it was me against the hill and against time. And … yes, this time, I did it! It was exhilarating! Next, perhaps a half marathon? Hmm ...

It’s truly a matter of Mind over Matter! And as the Adidas slogan goes, “Impossible is Nothing!” when you put your mind to it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is very true that mind is a very powerful thing. again, not many of us actually know how to fully utilise our minds...

ginseng4desoul said...

That picture says it all! It's quite true what you put in your head is what you will get. At least that's what I've experience lah!

Peanut Kong said...

LK:
Both you and Val are the best examples when it comes to mind over matter. I am still amazed at how far your determination carried you through Mount Kinabalu, the Penang Bridge run and the last 10km run. Hear! Hear! :)

Gingseng,
Maybe you should try the run. Mind over matter ma. Hehehe

Anonymous said...

I was just talking about that very subject today: giving yourself permission to do what your inner voice is telling you to do, as opposed to first getting the approval of the elders in the family, or neighbors, friends. It took me 'way too long to figure that one out. Good for you.
A senior Citizen