Sunday, September 10, 2006

A biking we went ... weeeeee!

Gosh! A full weekend free from work and other commitments! I feel absolutely liberated. But alas, it went by too quickly.

Guess I can no longer deny the fact that I am a child of nature and the great outdoors. The first opportunity I get, it's off to the hills!

With a few of the "siau gang" in tow, namely Supermom Mary and Canadian Kyle of my poetry "The Perfect Man" fame (and a newbie, Aubrey) we went for a short but strenuous bike ride on Saturday evening. Up Kiara Hill we went. For those who frequent Kiara Hill, you would be able to empathise with us. Running or jogging up Kiara Hill is enough to cause shortness of breath. Biking up that hill ... boy! ... I must be mad! OK, ok. It was a challenge from another friend who said that it is not easy for beginners (as in beginners for mountain bikers) to finish the trek, and I so wanted to prove him wrong!

So up the hill we went ~ huffing and puffing. I swear my calves and thighs almost gave way in the initial 100+ metres, but I persevered. Using low gears and rotating between sitting and straddling the seat, I managed to ride the bike to the top and the starting point of the trek. From there, we had an easy downward ride but instead of going straight from that point, we turned left instead so that we could "enjoy" the steeper trail up at the end of the loop.

There was another trail that leads off to the Kiara Equestrain Club, which I had always wanted to explore. So, off the beaten trek we went. Weeee ... It was an exhilarating downward journey! But a painful upward one. At the beginning of the upward trail, Supermom Mary had "chain" problems. The front gear chain was stuck and we couldn't push it to the smaller gears. Kyle and Aubrey went ahead whilst I helped Supermom Mary with her "chain". The night was fast approaching but the "chain" remained stubborn. A nice uncle (who was taking his evening walk) was concerned and told us that we should get out of the place soon as it was getting real dark. Luckily with a bit more brute strength and a turn of the pedal counter clockwise, we managed to "unstuck" the chain.

Finally, by dusk, we have completed the trail. What a ride! But then, the muscle aches were relentless the next day. Oh well, just shows that I need to practise more before attempting the more challenging slopes of KKB and Genting.

I live in hope! :)

No comments: