Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Goodbye 2006, Hello 2007

A Happy Belated 2007 to all. Yes, it’s been a month since I last blogged. Busy at work, busy travelling, busy holidaying … yes to all that. At times, there was so much I wanted to express. At others, the mind was a veritable desert.

The change of calendar year came and went without much fanfare. I was in Surabaya with a friend but instead of celebrating the occasion (as we originally planned); we almost slept through the event (or non event) due to exhaustion. We were woken up by the sound of fireworks, rushed out of the backpackers in time to observe the final few seconds of 2006 slipping away.

I have not had much time to reflect on 2006 nor was I driven to make any new resolutions for 2007 since then. I realise that I should not view a change in calendar year to reflect upon what had occurred but to review events in my life by the blocks of time I have invested in them.

“Does the end justify the means? Is the ROI (Return on Investment) worthy of the time, effort and emotional sacrifice? Have I been so focussed on the results that I have forgotten to enjoy the journey? Have I been swayed to take the easier path instead of standing state fast in my beliefs? Have I played it safe for too many years?”

These are but a few thoughts that have been running through my head. More and more I wonder if the path of independence was the right one to take. If I do not lean on me, can I trust someone else (divine presence excluded) to lean on or to champion my cause? If I change that, am I changing the core of “who I am”?

Stephen Covey spoke of the three stages in life; when we first came into the world, we were dependent. Then when we grew to adulthood, we wanted independence. But along the path of life, we will recognise that we need to live interdependently. Perhaps it is time to let go of that independence, throw caution to the wind, and welcome interdependence into my life. It’s a big step for me, and I am not sure I am ready for that.

Well, goodbye 2006 and helloooo 2007.

No comments: