Monday, January 02, 2006

Of New Years and old times …

Goodbye 2005, Hello 2006!

The New Year was celebrated with the siau gang over potluck and a sleepover at my place. We witnessed fireworks of various locations that lighted up the KL/PJ skyline from my balcony. Some of us yak and drank till morning and basically we had a jolly good time.

Yet, despite the company and the occasion, the change of year didn’t seem to have made an impact on me. It just felt like any other day except perhaps for the passing of time and the marking of the date. I threw away the 2005 calendar and brought out the 2006 calendar.

Reflecting on the year before i.e. 2004/2005, I remembered having a potluck too but at my old rented place with my trekking buddies i.e. a different group of friends. As far back as the millennium, I remembered New Year celebrations had always been with my trekking buddies although in the last two years, we have all grown apart.

Chronology of New Year celebrations:
* 1999/2000 – Celebrated with my new found trekking buddies at the Belum National Park up in the jungles of Perak. It was a “leechy” experience but a most unforgettable one.
* 2000/2001 – Celebrated with Lee Lee and a few new made backpacking friends at Sapa Mountains, North Vietnam. It was an eventful trip as this was where Ben (the confirmed bachelor of the trekking group) met his other half.
* 2001/2002 – Memory blank ~ can’t quite remember where I was but I am quite sure the celebration was with my trekking buddies.
* 2002/2003 – Celebrated with my trekking buddies at my old rented place.

It is strange to think that the years passed so swiftly from the date I just started out as an eager, budding trekker. I feel quite an old hand at it now although it’s been a while (almost 2 years) since the old trekking group have gone for a real camping and trekking trip. Truth be told, it was Lee Lee (the trek coordinator/ leader) that have kept the group together for so long. Perhaps getting together and growing apart is part and parcel of the cycle of life.

I admit I have perhaps taken some friendships for granted and not nurtured it as I should have. And for sure, I have taken my parents, sisters and family for granted.

With the dawn of the New Year, for a person who has given up on making resolutions, perhaps it is time to make a new one.

I resolve not to take any of my friendships and relationships for granted. I will strive to make time for my family and friends ~ be it through phone calls or get-togethers. This I shall vow, and this it shall be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your resolution should include completing your dissertation as well. Mine is reminding you regularly!!!!

Peanut Kong said...

Hahahaha. Completing the dissertation is not a resolution, it's a deadline! :p What are you doing online anyway?