Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Wifely trials

Working in a male dominated industry can be very frustrating especially when you are faced with men who think that they know better just because.

BUT ...

Sometimes, it is sheer joy working in such an environment, especially when you are privy to interesting conversations such as the one below.

Colleague 1: Jialat! My wife just had her hair done for RM200. That's worth almost 2 years of haircut for me! (Note: I found out that he cuts his hair once a month at the price of RM9 per cut. Hmmm ...)

Moi: That's quite a normal rate these days la especially if you perm, colour or rebond.

Colleague 1: (Glared at me.) You women spend so unnecessarily. Spend so much, look the same. Waste money only!

(Did I forget to mention that he is quite tight fisted? Kiam siap! That's the word.)

Colleague 1: (Continued.) And I can't say a word about it. If I say she looks good, that's like saying it's ok to spend RM200 to do her hair. If I say she looks bad, god knows what she will do. Probably go out and get her hair fixed again for another RM200. Or worse!

(By now, all the other guys were laughing and nodding their heads in agreement. Oh, did I forget to mention I was the only lady around?)

Colleague 2: Aiyah! Save it la. Not worth saying anything. Just like me. A few weeks ago, I open the pantry door and there were packs and packs of expired instant noodles in there. All I did was ask why she (meaning his wife) keeps expired products and not use them . Why so wasteful?

(He looked around at a sea of nodding heads. It's like the guys were expecting an explosion.)

Colleague 2: I just ask a few simple questions and then she blew up. And we got into an argument over nothing. Then, for one week ~ ONE WEEK ~ she didn't speak to me!

(I suspect that she didn't do something else as well. Otherwise, why was he so upset? :P)

Colleague 3: It's not worth saying a word la. When you get married for so long, you sometimes learn to just shut up.

Colleague 2: (Nodded his head.) Yeah. I learned that lesson well. These days, I don't even want go near the pantry.

Colleague 1: (Said to me.) Listen and learn. Next time when you get married, you know what to do.

Moi: Do what ah? Don't get my hair done for RM200? Or don't keep expired instant noodles?

(The guys laughed then.)

Hmmm ... you learn something new every day, don't you. What I learnt is, if I get my hair done for RM200, I shall certainly not tell my hypothetical husband about it. And I will definitely lock my pantry. Hahahaha

Life can be so farnie sometimes!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You? Married?

Wishful thinking now eh?

*GRIN*

Anonymous said...

Men are soooo entertaining, aren't they?

Anonymous said...

Of course we are, otherwise you women would be bored out of your clothes... :p

Anonymous said...

Kong Hei Fat Choy to you Pandora. Hope the year of dog brings you joy, luck, wealth, good health, love and happiness.