Monday, September 26, 2005

Addiction!

ad•dic•tion n. (source: www.dictionary.com)
The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or involved in something.


It is coming to the 7th day since I started this blog. And the verdict is I am terribly addicted to blogging. I can deny it no longer since I was happily typing away on my keyboard at 2+ am earlier yesterday and I am at it again today. I think about topics for my blog at every waking moment i.e. when I eat, when I drive and just before I drop off to sleep. Oh dear me!

This brings to mind my previous addictions. My ultimate all time addiction is coffee. I am a self confessed coffee addict. I used to drink 5 huge mugs of coffee a day until a couple of years back, when my doctor detected a high level of cholesterol in my blood and coffee was identified as one of the main contributor. I went cold turkey for one whole week … yes, one whole week mind you … but the withdrawal symptoms were terrible. (Now, I can empathise a little with smokers going cold turkey! :p ) Suddenly my mornings became lack lustre and it really got difficult for me to start the day. Luckily I found a loophole to the cholesterol issue ~ it was not the coffee, but the coffeemate! Since then, I started drinking coffee either black or with low fat milk. I also reduced my intake to 3 smaller mugs a day. My cholesterol level went down subsequently. And yee har, I can now still enjoy my mug of coffee without much guilt. : )

Earlier this year, during Chinese New Year, I was hopelessly addicted to The Da Vinci Code. It all started when I decided to find out what was the entire furore over Dan Brown’s The Da Vinvi Code. Much to my surprise and delight, it was such a page turner that I refused to sleep and had to practically lift my eyelids with toothpicks to finish the book. Then I spent subsequent hours on the net reading reviews and arguments on the book, and I even tried my hand at breaking codes on some online Da Vinci Code games. Yeah! Talk about addiction. Some things I don’t do half measures! Crazy some would call me … :P

Then there was the time a few months back when I discovered that the new condo I am moving into has an online community and an online forum. Weee … another round of addiction. For weeks, I would just check out the forum at every single free moment I have. A little confession here, I was late for a few appointments with friends because I forgot the time as I was busy reading or posting on the online forum. Thank god, I had a week holiday away from civilization which left me totally unconnected to the WWW and subsequently helped reduce my addiction to the forum. But just when I thought a cure was in sight …

Wait a minute, a cure is in sight! Blogging has cured my addiction to the forum! But sadly it has created yet another addiction. Will this ever end ???

Oh woe is me. : (

No comments: