Friday, September 30, 2005

Tales of a non shop-a-holic in Bangkok

Now, if you think I am going to go all judgemental on the darker side of Bangkok, you are dead wrong. To put things into context, I am personally referring to the question of whether it’s a good idea for companies in general and my company in particular, to hold meetings in Bangkok. (He he he … what were you thinking of? ;p) Every night after the meeting ended, a group of us ladies practically rushed out to the nearest shopping mall or night market and shopped till we drop.

I am a die-hard non shop-a-holic! But even I succumbed to the attractions of the beautiful designs and goods in Bangkok and the crazy prices as well! (Although the merchants are getting smarter these days and refuse to bargain much. Darn!) In the 4 days since I have landed in this country, I have already gone shopping three times and look set to repeat the experience this Saturday at Chatuchak market. The 4000 baht I changed just for shopping is depleting fast and I have resorted to using credit cards at merchants that accept cards! I think I need to change more money tomorrow. Oh boy!

The first night, we went to Central Shopping Mall where I fell in love with this absolutely gorgeous bedsheet that fits my room just right. Yeah yeah! I know they sell bedsheet in Malaysia too but not like this one la. The colour matches my duvet too. :D Then I saw a nice jacket and blouse and couldn’t resist. Eh … I haven’t shopped in a long time la; so high time to improve my wardrobe. (And that’s not an excuse. It’s truly a reason. :P) Then last night and tonight, we went to Suan Lum night bazaar. And gosh! It was paradise. The home appliances i.e. cutlery and plates, the lightings, the cushion covers, table runners, etc. are all so beautiful. I was spoiled for choice. Unfortunately (or should I say fortunately for my pocket), I can’t cart all of them home. In any case, I shall not list down what I bought. I think I would have mucked up the inventory.

Talk about shopping madness! Oh well … two more days to go and counting! :p

No comments: