Monday, December 05, 2005

Badminton mania

OK. I spoke too soon. It’s been awhile (a couple of months) since I played badminton. Had a fantastic game on Thursday but two hours straight playing doubles with no reprieve has taken a little toll on this body. No matter how active one is, different sports and games use different muscle groups, therefore the body aches. Or so I would like to think that would happen to everyone. :p Imagine doing lobs, jumping smashes (ahem … TRYING to jump and smash is what I really meant. Yang Yang, I am not!), stretching for net shots, etc ~ all part and parcel of the game; unlike say, running or walking on the machines at the gym, or trekking on the slopes of Bukit Gasing.

Anyway, is it me or did you notice the sudden increase of badminton enthusiasts? Usually out of the 18 courts in Stadium Juara, only about 4 to 6 courts were booked every time we played. Thus imagine my surprise when a sea of faces greeted me when I dropped by Stadium Juara on Thursday. All 18 courts were fully booked. Badminton mania is back! But why now? Not like there’s an All-England or a Thomas Cup event. Usually the spike of interest in the game occurs when these competitions are running. Hmm … the only event occurring now is the SEA Games. Could that be the catalyst?

In any case, my back had a hell of a “beating” during the game. I am postponing the massage until the aches lessen. *groans* I sometimes wonder why I do this to myself … :p

No comments: