Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Sitting ducks!

Just heard the news ~ 3 more attempted break-ins on Saturday. Of which, one has been burglarised before. I am sure most residents are feeling like I do. A veritable sitting duck!

You worry when you are away. You worry when you are at home. And you wonder which is worse i.e. that they strike when you are in or when you are not in.

I was told not to worry too much. After all, there’s nothing much to steal. But that’s not the point. The point is I will feel violated. I already feel insecure and unsafe! This is our home, our sanctuary. This is the place where we relax and leave behind the frustrations of the day.

Now, I am always vigilant. I see someone in the lift and I get suspicious ~ are they residents, visitors or burglars? Just yesterday, two guys wearing cleaner’s uniforms was on their way up to one of the floors. They were not carrying any cleaning equipment. Immediately my radar was on full alert. But I can’t stop someone and report someone just because they were seen at my block. Just because they are foreigners do not automatically make them criminals. This is no way to treat people. They too are here to earn a living and I can only hope they earn it the honest way! I am sorry to say I can’t be impartial these days. I can’t help being suspicious.

I don’t want to live this way ~ suspicious and worried. I refuse to be cowed by these burglars! I am thankful for having neighbours who care. Neighbours who have put a lot of effort into tightening the security of the place such as organising the Neighbourhood Watch, contacting the MP to push our case forward and more. I hope the issue will be resolved soon. Management have to buck up or ship out. That’s the only way.

Meanwhile, we remain sitting ducks!

No comments: