Friday, December 16, 2005

What motivates you?

“Why are you still working so hard? It’s nearing the end of the year. Businesses are winding down.” This is what I have often been asked.

“Ahh … she is working for the fat bonus and her company incentive trip.” Some friends might think of that. “She is hoping for a promotion. She is just very ambitious.” A few others would assume.

The truth is it is none of the above! I work hard because I am committed to deliver what I promised to deliver. Contrary to what people think, our bonuses are no longer fat. Since the change in the remuneration policy this year, the difference in bonus between achieving your target and not achieving it is marginal.

Company incentive trip? That is an organised tour that one rushes through from Day 1 to Day 7. Not to sound arrogant, but it is not something I am extremely motivated by. I am the “backpack and plan your own route” type of person.

Promotion? Ambition? Seriously, I wouldn’t mind staying in my current position for the rest of my corporate life, and what would be even better is a yearly increment of 10% or more. Wishful thinking? … Yeah! Ambition means I would have to get promoted to the next level which would be my boss’ level. And the type of politicking one is drawn into at that level is too tiring for me to even think, let alone comprehend.

Eliminating all this, I could only conclude that I am a masochist and I thrive on internal motivation and satisfaction.

The strange thing about this company is that marketing is answerable to sales targets and the bottom line. The common practice is that sales is responsible for sales targets whilst marketing is answerable to the P&L and market share. Due to the uncommon KPIs that I am measured by, I have to work my butt off to achieve the sales target as well. Thus, my continuous effort to hit that magical plan number!

I am getting tired though. Truly I need a breather. I need a break from the endless travelling for work. I need time to get my dissertation going. But … it is getting tougher to find time. Beginning 1st January, in addition to my current portfolio, I will also be responsible and accountable for the Singapore business and the OEM business in Malaysia. A part of me feels challenged by that. Another part of me is just exhausted. It is not like I am getting a promotion; it is merely a job expansion.

2006 is looking to be a challenging year. With the economic slow down and my job expansion, it doesn’t look like I am going to get any long breaks. I am just wondering when I will run out of fuel. How long can internal motivation last? I really do wonder.

No comments: