Friday, December 23, 2005

Malaysia's Most Beautiful

Goodness! The advertising campaign for Malaysia’s Most Beautiful is overwhelming. I am not sure how long it has been running but every time I turn on the radio or watch the idiot box, the advertisement will appear. Kudos to the media buyer! I wonder how much the sponsors paid for the programme.

The copy goes something like this, “ …. where 15 women will be tested for their inner and outer beauty.” One wonders how inner beauty is tested onscreen though and in such a short period of time. My initial take on the programme before I even watch it is that it is a lot of fluff. Adam from 8TV Quickie describes the show as being catty. Hmmm … one wonders how cattiness can translate to inner beauty

Tonight I finally took the time to watch the show. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to bitch about the show here right? I must do my investigations as well. Hahaha ... In a way, the show was better than I expected. It was less catty and bitchy. (Although I did see a few major signs of cattiness after the task was completed and neither team won.) Perhaps there were fewer women left in this show or maybe the catty ones have already been eliminated? Or perhaps today’s task was tougher than the ladies anticipated?

The contestants were asked to come up with a PR event to launch Revlon’s age defying product. Seriously, I wonder how this task can help viewers and judges decide how beautiful (internally and externally) a person is. All it showed me was how intellectually lacking they are. Ouch! Perhaps that is unfair. After all, the task is more suitable for programmes such as The Apprentice.

Well, at the end of the show, six were left standing. As a contestant commented on the official website, the results will reflect Malaysia’s perception of beauty. Personally my take is that, internal beauty can’t be measured and it certainly can’t be determined in front of a camera and in a matter of weeks. How true can these women be? Would someone with internal beauty be even vain enough to participate in such a competition? Without the inner beauty part, would outer beauty not be better left for beauty pageants in the likes of Miss Universe or Miss World? There would certainly be less pretensions in front of the camera.

Perhaps it should be retitled Malaysia’s Most Bitchy. I am sure the ratings will sky-rocket. Hahaha … Whatever my views are, the programme seems to be thriving. Like any other reality show, it has garnered its own fan club. We shall see if it can last another season …

No comments: