Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A moment of temporary reprieve

Like “an Albatross round my neck”, my dissertation is back to haunt me. I tried early this month to extend the suspension period for my studies but to no avail. Due to a technicality in the Business School rule book, I had the carpet virtually jerked from beneath my feet last week when I received an email from the university giving me until 5th December to complete my dissertation. As I was in East Malaysia then, there was nothing I could do. I know though that there is no possible way I could accomplish that feat given the fact that I have yet to start reading the literatures for my dissertation.

My game plan yesterday was to meet with my lecturer and put my cards on the table. I have nothing to lose ~ either he allowed me the extension or I would have to suffer the bitter pill of just getting a Diploma instead of a Master. Of course, that would be very devastating as I have clocked in hundreds of hours for 12 modules of classes, assignments and exams, and is just short of a dissertation to graduate with a Masters. Fortunately, the “honesty is the best policy” phrase actually worked in this instance because I managed to get a temporary reprieve from my lecturer and the Business School Director. The due date for my dissertation is now set at end January. I have three months to accomplish what part-time students take six months to do.

I also found out an alternative route I could take which would eventually prove to be a second reprieve. Should I be unable to deliver the dissertation on time, I would have to “re sit” the dissertation. Of course there is a penalty attach to that. Basically, 50% of my marks will be deducted. I am now faced with a dilemma of doing a mediocre dissertation in three months and getting the full marks for that, or doing an excellent dissertation in nine months but only obtain 50% of my total marks. Not a “pretty” choice but a choice nonetheless!

Then again, I made my bed. Now, I have to sleep on it!

No comments: