Sunday, November 06, 2005

Kids ~ little angels in disguise or little devils?

My favourite little "devil". Look at that cheeky smile! :)

Peik Lean Y.

Whoever says that kids are honest might have to rethink their concept. Kids can be little “devils” and I mean that in the nicest, kindest possible way. Their cheekiness is boundless and because they say and do things with such toothless glee and cute, devilish expressions, we forgive them for their transgressions and continue to pander to their whims and fancies. Their hugs can melt the steeliest of hearts and make marshmallows of them.

There is this particular “little devil” that I am very fond of. He is really one of the cheekiest, cutest and smartest kids around. Imagine a kid of barely 3 years old telling you the brand names of cars when you take him for a drive? And he doesn’t just say, “that’s a big car” or “that’s a small car”. He points at a car and says, “Aunty Peik Lean, BMW, Mercedez, Sentra.” He even corrected his mom, “Kelisa la,” as opposed to his mom saying Kancil. And he knows that Daddy drives a Multipla. And etc. etc.

I remember a couple of months ago when his parents first started weaning him off his diapers. You should see how the adults scrambled in panic the moment he said, “Daddy, wee wee!” His parents will try to get him to a loo or an area where he can pee ASAP to prevent having to clean up after him. But the cheeky bugger wise up to the adults predicament and he started saying wee wee every half hour or less. You should see his face when the adults started scrambling to get him ready for the loo. Ha ha ha … I didn’t know if I should spank him or just laugh at the devilish little grin on that cute, cheeky face.

Just two nights ago, we went out for dinner and he was having a little “fit” because he could not sit with his mom on the front seat. The poor kid was perhaps feeling a wee bit insecure and jealous as his mom is pregnant with a second baby. He was whining about sitting in front with mom and so a friend decided to distract him. “This is Uncle Army’s dada,” Army said whilst pointing at his chest. And the kid started poking at his chest. We all warned the kid that he can only do that to Uncle Army and Daddy. And no one else! But … guest what? When we started carrying him, he made a play for our breasts. I had to beat his hand and tell him, “You can touch only Uncle Army’s and Daddy’s!” And he gave me another one of his toothy, cheeky grin. Good Lord … kids! “Wor te tien ar!”

Yet … gosh! Kids know the quickest way to your heart. I was travelling a bit a year plus ago when he was still very little. He could hardly pronounce my name then. After a few months of not being able to make dinner with the family, I finally found time to do so. And the first thing the little bugger did was run to me, gave me a big hug and called my name. That moment is forever etched in my memory. And just two nights ago after I gently scolded him for some little transgressions, he ran to me for a hug and a kiss just before he went home. Dang! How could one stay stern in the face of such unparalleled bribery? Kids ~ little angels in disguise or little devils? Does it matter when you succumb to their blatant bribery anyway?! :P

No comments: