Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Musings

It hit me yesterday how independent I have become. I am so used to handling things on my own that it never crossed my mind to ask for help or some pampering/ TLC (tender loving care).

I was down with a bad case of flu and decided to head home earlier than usual. A friend offered to bring some food but I later declined as I thought it would be too much trouble. I reached home, took some bread, popped a few pills and propped myself on the sofa in front of the TV. I must have fallen asleep when I heard the phone rang next. A colleague wanted some info but was extremely apologetic when she realised that I was sick.

“I’m so sorry to disturb you. Anyone taking care of you?” she asked.

It suddenly dawned on me that I told no one in my family that I was sick. My friends knew about it because the flu started on Sunday and I joined them for dinner then. Not that I wanted to keep it a secret but it just never dawned on me to tell anyone in the family. Besides, I hate being fussed over and my parents and eldest sister are sure to fuss. My sis called the next day for dinner and a chat. And only then did she realise that I was a little under the weather. I received some pampering then.

Perhaps I have become too independent and that is not good. Hmm … this is certainly something to think about.

2 comments:

PW said...

Warmth, kindness, and friendship are the most yearned for commodities in the world. Woman, however independent one is, sometimes one does need some TLC. Hope u r getting better now :)

Anonymous said...

being independent and needing TLC is not related... no no NO!! mutually exclusive, if u ask me!