Monday, November 14, 2005

Living it up and packing in the calories

OK. I know I have not been up to speed with my blogs. Was travelling last week and the blardy 5 star hotel couldn't connect me to the WWW. Talk about frustrations! Just as well though ... not sure where I'd find the time or the energy to blog anyway.

In any case, having meetings and conferences in Penang is NOT a good thing. Well ... actually depends if one welcomes extra calories or one is trying to lose some weight. Sigh! Suffice to say I belong to the latter group. And it was a gastronomic trip where we pack in numerous "chao kwei tiau" from Lorong Selamat to Ayer Itam, and we had seafood everday, plus the endless sumptious desserts of cendol and ice kacang. Dang! There goes the diet.

In any case, besides the hard work (that's a given) and the food, the whole trip was really about living it up till the wee hours of dawn and then back to the grindstone again at 9 sharp the next morning! Can't be helped when your boss (who is about 2 decades your senior) has an unhealthy amount of energy that exceeds even the youngest member of his staff! And if you say you are tired, he goes like ... "What? Young people .... like that also tired ..."

We were all almost zombified but he was still alive and raring to go on both the nights that we were there. The first night ended at about 3+ am at the karaoke ... believe me when I say I am no Anita Mui or Leanne Rhymes but sang away we did. Imagine me singing Bohemian Rhapsody ... yeah right ... a Freddy Mercurie song ... very brave of moi ... but the song choice was not mine. It was chosen for me as my colleagues know that I am a "Queen" nut. Well helllooo ... I listen to 'em songs, I never confess to being able to sing them! :P

The next night, we were all dying to sleep in ... but no escape. We were up and about up to 3+ am again. This time at a pub/ disco; playing pool and downing a few vodka shots. I am NOT a target game player. I remember in my teenage years, I was challenged to a game of darts by my cousins. Not only did I not hit the bullseye nor any part of the board, my shots went wayyy off tangent and somehow found its way through the designer holes on the brick wall where the board was hung. Beats me how it got through those holes. Either I am an excellent shot (I live in hope! :P) or ...... In any case, I was at the pool table for 3-4 games that night. And surprise, surprise ... it didn't turn out quite as bad. Hmmm .... maybe a new game to consider in my plethora of activities. :D

Phew! It was a relief when I finally landed in KLIA on Friday eve. Thought I could catch up with some exercise to detox from all the oily food and alcohol that I have been consuming in the last few nights. Blinking hell .... I must be blardy tired. I took a short snooze (or so I thought) at 7pm ... and didn't wake up until 10am the next morn ... depsite a few calls to my mobile. Talk about the sleeping dead!

No comments: