Monday, November 14, 2005

Woo hoo! I did a 10 km run yesterday!

Ever since I heard that the rest of the group has gone on a 10 km run on the treadmill last week, I was itching to do so myself. I am not a masochist (really!) but as I have mentioned before, I am often done in by that little devil called “competitiveness”. In any case, after the early morning trek, I was quite inspired to do a bit more exercise. Fixing the distance at 10 km on the machine and the speed at 9.0 km per hour, I was ready to face my first 10 km challenge.

The first 5 km was a breeze. I have run that distance before and knew I have the stamina to do so again and maintain my run at that speed. The following 3 km was a challenge. I could feel my legs getting heavier and slower; and I had to work extremely hard to maintain the speed. It didn’t help that there was a maniacal runner on the left machine going at 10.0 km an hour continuously and pounding onwards with such energy and concentration! I surreptitiously checked his distance meter and the reading was at 16 km! He started much later than me. How could that be possible?

In any case, I had to deal with completing my run despite being disturbed that someone who started later than me could overtake my distance. Dang! Something is definitely wrong with his machine. :p In any case, the final 2 km for me was a real struggle ~ it seemed to take eons for the distance meter to jump 0.01 km. I reached the stage where I had to literally rotate between walking at the speed of 6.9 km per hour for 0.50 km and running at 10.0 km per hour for 0.50 km. The distance meter seemed to move in slow motion … 9.98 km, 9.99 km … 10.00 km! Whoopie! I finally hit the 10 km distance at a time of 1 hour and 9 minutes. * Does the victory dance! *

I really needed a massage after that but I thought a few relaxing moments in the pool would help too. Off we went to the young lecturer’s condo for a leisurely swim. Sigh! I don’t think this group of people do things in half measures (me included)! We ended up having a leisurely swim but also doing some contortionist moves under water. It was a lot of fun but I have a great feeling that I will suffer for yesterday’s antics in the next few days.

A friend once told me, “You can’t starve for six days and binge on the seventh day! It’s most unhealthy.” That couldn’t be helped though as my crazy schedule last week conspired to place me in such a predicament once again. And really, this was all a spur of the moment thing. Life doesn’t get better than this eh?! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try running 10k off the treadmill. You will find it isn't the same

Peanut Kong said...

Of course. I've done the 5 km in the great outdoors before. Have to start small ma. :) One single step on the treadmill for moi, one giant leap for womankind! Muahahaha ...